Ensure successful directional drilling design by using the expertise of our team. Gain peace of mind about pipeline to HDD tie-ins. Our sophisticated tools can be used for any scope of project, no matter how big. With capabilities that rival the best we can produce accurate and cost-effective results which conforms to the PRCI, CSA or ASME standards.
- Decommissioned pipe installed under a river crossing was to be removed according to regulatory requirements.
- Customer needed to understand the rupture load for pulling an HDD.
- Determine ultimate strength of the existing pipeline.
- Performed Pipe Soil Explicit analysis to show the load required to rupture the pipe.
- Simulation results found that force required to pull the pipe out would rupture the pipeline.
- Client was able to choose a different removal approach, avoiding costly failure of original method.
HDD Crossing Stress Analysis
- Design and analyze a generic cased, insulated and grouted HDD crossing up to 2.2Km long.
- High fidelity 3D continuum analysis and CFD analysis of preheating process were performed resulting in identification of critical stress issues.
- Recommendations were made to alleviate the stress issues on the HDD.
HDD Stress Analysis
- The project involved the installation of an underground pipeline section by horizontal directional drilling (HDD) method.
- The HDD tie-in overbends were analysed.
- Detailed recommendations were made to comply with CSA Z662 allowable stress limits as well as reduce the risk of upheaval buckling.
- System design ensured safe operation of the pipeline.